July is Purposeful Parenting Month, designated by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Since kids are off from school, parents can open the dialogue and have meaningful discussions around many important issues. Parenting with a purpose helps a child understand what is expected of them and encourages parents to be 100% present with their child in order to set boundaries, as well as goals for the future. Together, parents and children can learn how to communicate better and enjoy fun activities.
If you’re looking for some parenting with a purpose activities to do this month, here is a list of fun things to do around New York City.
1. The Lower Eastside Girls Club has some incredible events that parents and daughters can engage in together. These programs are offered at no cost to girls and their families and include:
- Makers Shop: Learn coding, pre-robotics, and more from some of the top role models in the STEM field.
- East Village Planetarium: Learn about digital dome education, astro-physics, and earth/space science exploration with a visit to the planetarium.
- Digital and Audio Arts: Enter a world of digital photography, video production and editing, audio engineering, sound design, and graphic design with this program.
Contact the Lower Eastside Girls Club to set up one of these amazing programs with your family.
2. Read an anthology from Girls Write Now together. Girls Write Now takes the strongest piece from girls who participated in the Writing and Mentoring program and puts them into award-winning literary journals. Parents and daughters can read together for inspiration and even try writing their own pieces.
3. Attend incredible events from NYC DIY, which includes shows, art, and activism. Parents and children can have thoughtful conversations after attending an event together.
- July 10th: La Neve, Sitcom, Groupie, VZn at Silent Barn
- July 11th, July 18th, or July 25th: Ocean Music *residency* with SingullaR and Ariel Abrahams at C'mon Everybody
- July 21st: Dancify That : Watch costumed contestants compete in creating dance inspired by some of the funniest and most bizarre videos from the Internet.
Check out their website for more information and details on the events.
4. Get interactive at one of the Children’s Museum of the Arts workshops:
Parents can learn more about their child’s interests by allowing them to choose the activity they find the most fun. The options are endless at the Children’s Museum of the Arts: from fine arts to clay sculpture, animation, design, and more.
5. If you and your kids like to bike, then check out some of the events Transportation Alternatives has this month:
- Bicycles and Bloomers ride (July 9th)
- TransAlt Bike Valet Movies with a View (July 27th enjoy The Lego Movie as a family)
If you want more choices of things to do around the city with your child, these local organizations encourage parent-child relationships while working towards bettering their community:
- Juggling Lessons at One Penn Plaza
- Salsa at Plaza 33
- Horseback riding in the city
- Volunteering with Kitty Kind
Parenting with a purpose can happen at any of these adventurous events around the city. Be sure to communicate with your child and pick the activity together, so both parents and children can learn a lot and enjoy the day!
Subscribe to the NYXT newsletter
Learn about upcoming events, volunteer opportunities, and new organizations looking for your help.