Volunteer Opportunities in NYC - Making Manhattan Even Better
Living in Manhattan puts you in the heart of the most important city in the world. You have unparalleled access to many, diverse culture and arts opportunities. Still, you want to demonstrate you truly love NYC by giving back as a volunteer.
NYXT wants Manhattan residents to thrive. Here, then, are some ways to volunteer where you live. The opportunities are boundless. What interests you?
- Social or Political Activism
Those looking to make a contribution to the cultural arts might consider:
- Volunteering at the New York Neo-Futurists. Too Much Light can only brighten the boards of NYC with volunteers staffing the box office two shows a week, fifty weeks out of the year. Plus, you get to the see the show for free.
- Becoming a theatre host or Family Sunday Volunteer at the Rubin Museum. This Himalayan art museum offers free admission for the volunteer and a guest in exchange for service to various museum departments.
If contributing to broadening education is your goal:
- Volunteer at the Asia Society of New York devoted to bringing Asian art and culture to diverse audiences. Integrating arts, business, culture, education and policy, the Society provides insight, and promotes collaboration to strengthen understanding of Asia and the United States in a global context.
- Help El Taller Latino Americano (The Latin American Workshop) with membership coordination, office work, building restoration and more. Since 1979, this non-profit arts and education institution has been working to share Latin American language, dance and music.
- Mentor a young woman for Girls Write Now and help her learn to shape her words into powerful writing or explore new modes of creative expression.
Whether or not you have a direct relationship to a health concern, the following are sure to appreciate your time:
- National Kidney Foundation needs volunteers to staff kidney walks, KEEP screenings, and advocacy programs or help out in the office. Improve the lives of individuals affected by kidney disease.
- Orbis International brings eye care to communities in need around the globe, but you can help out at home by volunteering around the office or as a street fundraiser. Or, if you are a medical professional, you might qualify as faculty volunteer.
- Path2Parenthood invites volunteers to help in their mission of sharing fertility programs, outreach and education in a variety of ways.
Eager to advocate for social justice or a political cause? Consider volunteering at:
- The Innocence Project, which describes itself as “a national litigation and public policy organization dedicated to exonerating wrongfully convicted individuals through DNA testing and reforming the criminal justice system to prevent future injustice.”
- The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender (LGBT) Community Center provides programs and support services while connecting the LGBT community. With more than 6,000 people passing through its doors each week, The Center has varied volunteer opportunities.
These volunteer opportunities are far from an exhaustive listing of all that you can do to enhance Manhattan. Finding the issue, cause or mission that matters most to you is only the first step. idealist.org can help you make a match. NYXT applauds your desire to make a difference.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter